Thursday, January 5, 2012

Dealing with an Autistic child

Every mother dreams while pregnant for their unborn child. The baby will be healthy, happy and succesful etc. No mother ever wants to hear that there is something wrong with their baby. I didn't know until my son was a year old that something was off. Of course my son was the most intelligent, the most handsome, the most.....well everything. Then comes the time where they grow up and start exploring things. You start taking them to the park, and playing outside in the backyard and all things little ones like to do. My first clue that something was wrong was that my son was extremely impulsive. Yes, I know your thinking "oh well he is a boy, he is going to do that", and yes he did to a certain extent. But, then it started getting more and more extreme. One day he unbuckled himself out of his car seat and jumped out of a truck and landed face first on the asphault, in the time it took for his Dad to go around the other side of the car to buckle his sister in to her carseat. He became a Houdini. He started taking off out of the front door, he would rip toys apart because they would be cooler to be something else. And then came school.

He was extremely overwhelmed and would kick and scream, throw himself under tables, his desk or whatever was available to him. He is 10 years old now and has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, a high functioning Autism. Simple right? Wrong, the Asperger's is just the umbrella for many other things, ADD, ADHD, ODD and OCD. So now its not one thing he has to deal with it is a lot more.

There are times I get so frustrated with him because I don't know how to get through to him. He has his good days and his bad. Today has been one of the bad days. Maybe it's because he had two weeks vacation from school, I don't know. We never know what will be the cause of the bad day's.  So now here I sit just trying to calm down enough to be able to go and talk him through this yet again.

I hope and pray that one day he will be able to handle the backwards movie that whirls around in his head constantly. I love you my boy, nothing will ever change that!

No comments:

Post a Comment